Permits & Road Bans

Road Bans

Friday, May 31, 2024 at 8:01 AM LIFTED ROAD BAN NOTICE OF REMOVAL

A map of the current road bans can be found HERE.



All vehicles 22,500kgs and over require a permit to travel on County roads as per the Traffic Bylaw (Bylaw #21-04). The County issues 4 types of permits: 

1) Agriculture Permit - provided to agriculture producers and country residential with a registered vehicle weight of 22,500kgs or more. If you are having fuel, gravel, garbage pickup or septic services provided to your acreage or farm, you must obtain an Agriculture (Country Residential) permit to provide to the company completing or providing the service. 

2) Commercial Agriculture Permit - provided to carriers (registered vehicle weight of 22,500kgs or more) who provide a service to the agricultural sector (i.e. cattle haulers, grain haulers, bale haulers, etc.). 

3) Commercial Carrier Permit - provided to an organization who has commercial vehicle(s) with a registered vehicle weight of 22,500kgs or more that utilizes Range Roads and/or Township Roads in the County and do all their own hauling without the use of carriers (contractors).  A Road Use Agreement is required.

4) Industry Permit - provided to an organization/operator who controls the movement of commercial vehicles with a registered vehicle weight of 22,500kgs or more. A Road Protection Maintenance Agreement is required. 

4a) Carrier Permits - provided to a carrier (contractor) with a registered vehicle weight of 22,500kgs or more that work for an Industry Operator.  The County provides the Carrier Permit to the Industry Operator to sign and give their Carriers.  Carriers can only travel on the roads that the Industry Operator has permitted while working for that specific Industry Operator.

*Permits are only valid for the calendar year. Permits are NOT automatically renewed at the end of the year. Please contact Public Works for renewal or any inquiries at 780.846.3309



TRAVIS permits are required by the Province of Alberta to move an over-weight and over-sized load in Alberta on all provincial highways and municipal roadways. Since 2018, the County has contracted ROADATA Services to handle all TRAVIS permit requests. ROADATA has full access to the County's database of industry operators permitted roads (you must have a County permit in order to get approved for a TRAVIS permit to travel municipal roads within the County) in order to approve or reject TRAVIS permits. Please visit this website to find out more information on the TRAVIS system or to apply for a Travis permit.