Public Safety

Our Peace Officers:

  • Enforce specific provincial laws and regulations
  • Investigate and enforce County bylaws

Have a bylaw question or concern?

Contact Public Safety at 780-846-3313. If it's after hours, please leave a message. 

Peace officers cannot respond to reports of criminal activity. For these matters, please contact the RCMP. RCMP Detachments serving our area:


Heavy Vehicle Traffic

All heavy vehicles with a registered weight of 22,500 kgs or over must have a valid permit to operate on County of Vermilion River roads.

Our Community Peace Officers patrol County roads and ensure that heavy vehicles have a valid permit and are travelling on approved roads. A fine may be issued if a heavy vehicle is operating without a valid permit or if the vehicle is travelling off route.

More information on heavy vehicle permits can be found at Permits & Road Bans or by contacting Public Works at 780-846-3309.

I Got a Bylaw Ticket. Now What?

When you've been issued a violation ticket for a bylaw infraction, it's your decision to plead guilty or not guilty to the offence.

Regardless of your plea, you must take care of your ticket on or before the appearance date noted on the front. If you don't, you may be convicted in your absence or a warrant for your arrest may be issued. 

Pleading Not Guilty - Disputing a Ticket

If you plead not guilty, you have two options:

Option 1 - Plead not guilty by emailing Include a statement indicating the reason for the appeal. 

Option 2 - Appear before a Justice at the appearance address and date indicated on the ticket.

Pleading Guilty - Voluntary Payment

If you plead guilty, you have two options:

Option 1 - Pay the voluntary payment amount on or before the court appearance date indicated on the ticket.

Option 2 - Appear before a Justice at the appearance address and date indicated on the ticket.

How do I pay a County bylaw ticket?

Bylaw tickets can be paid at the Vermilion Courthouse, any registries office, or online through MyAlberta eServices

Rural Crime Map


The County of Vermilion River Crime Map is a tool provided by the Alberta RCMP. The Alberta RCMP supports community engagement by providing the public with the tools, resources, and information they need to uphold public safety – for themselves and for their communities.

The RCMP hopes that the map will encourage citizens to report suspicious activity to the police which will strengthen their intelligence gathering capability and help them make arrests.

About the Map

  • The online map enables the Alberta RCMP to share current criminal incidents with members of the communities we serve across Alberta.
  • The database can be accessed by municipalities to display current crime occurrences (the last 14 days).
  • The RCMP chose the crimes that residents have the greatest potential for deterrence by using crime prevention strategies, mainly property crimes.

View Map

Rural Crime Watch

The County of Vermilion River Rural Crime Watch are the eyes & ears of our region and strive to promote rural crime prevention through communications, programs and fundraising.

Why Crime Watch?

Communities with organized crime prevention programs have a lower rate of criminal activity.

Become a Member

  • Learn about rural crime and crime prevention
  • Learn how to properly identify and report suspicious activity
  • Get tips and tools to protect yourself and your property

Be Part of the Solution

  • Report suspicious activity
  • Inventory and mark your property
  • Be aware – know your neighbours
  • Post your Crime Watch signs.

Get Involved!

Join our local Crime Watch Association and become an active member by attending meetings and participating in the program.

Contact Darrell Wright for further information at or 780-808-1101.

Application Form

Community Assisted Policing Through the Use of Recorded Evidence (CAPTURE)

The Alberta RCMP is expanding its voluntary surveillance camera registry program, called CAPTURE (Community Assisted Policing Through the Use of Recorded Evidence), to all RCMP-policed communities in Alberta.

Residents and businesses who have video surveillance, and are willing to share video camera footage when requested, can sign up. This initiative will help officers track down video evidence in ongoing criminal investigations in RCMP jurisdictions and reduce the time an officer needs to search for and gather video evidence. 

To get started, visit and create an account. From there, you can enter your contact information and video camera locations on the secure site. An officer will contact you if they believe your camera may have captured evidence of a crime.

Things to know about the program:

  • CAPTURE is completely voluntary and your consent can be withdrawn at any time;
  • The video footage on your camera remains your property; 
  • The RCMP will not have live access to your camera feed. We will only ask for videos already recorded.

This strategy is another way the Alberta RCMP are working with our communities to help solve crime faster, together. By providing video footage to police during an investigation, communities increase the chance of a successful prosecution.