Road Ban In Effect March 28, 2024 at 8:01 AM

Vegetation Management Programs

Vegetation Management Program

The County of Vermilion River manages vegetation alongside County roads for a variety of reasons, including:

  • Increased traffic safety by reducing obstructions in the ditch and improving visibility along roadways and at intersections,
  • Reduced vegetation that attracts wildlife to roadsides,
  • Reduced snow accumulation concerns and to facilitate snow removal,
  • Enhanced road maintenance,
  • To control the spread of noxious and prohibited noxious weeds on municipal property, and
  • To reduce the spread of crop diseases and pests along municipal roadways (i.e., clubroot of canola, black knot fungus).

Vegetation of concern includes provincially regulated under Alberta’s Weed Control Act like toadflax and scentless chamomile. It also includes any trees or shrubs growing along the roadside, and tall vegetation, including sweet clover, alfalfa, and bromegrass, which reduce visibility, attract animals, and impact road maintenance.

The County’s Roadside Vegetation Management Program uses an Integrated Management Approach with several management tools. We try to make vegetation management decisions that consider the crops adjoining the roadside, wildlife and pollinator usage of the ditches, and other potential roadside users.

For more information about our vegetation program and common weeds in the County see the Invasive Species Crash Course Video: CVR's Vegetation Management Program Guide



Roadside Mowing

The County of Vermilion Rivers uses a contractor to mow municipal roadsides. This year, between July 15 and August 15, 2023, the contractor will mow the ditches along high traffic roads only .
Mowing assists with integrated weed control, enhances road maintenance, and improve visibility and public safety. The roadsides are mowed to reduce tall vegetation and snow trapping and improve the line of sight.
For questions or concerns about the mowing program, please call the Director of Agriculture and Environment, Cathie, at 780-846-3301.


Haying Program


Hay Agreement Form

If you want the County to delay herbicide application along a portion of roadside by their property so it can be hayed, landowners can apply for a Hay agreement by May 31.

Other applicants can apply for a hay agreement between May 31 and June 15. With a signed Hay Agreement, the County will delay spraying the designated roadside until July 15. All haying along County roadsides, with or without a Hay Agreement, must be completed before July 15 to allow roadside mowing. 

A permit is not required to hay County roadsides. However, all work must be completed (hay cut, baled and bales removed) before July 15 to allow mowing and vegetation management.

We no longer accept forms to reserve ditch hay for producers without mowing it at any time. If a producer chooses to hay the ditch, the County will not manage who is permitted to cut where.


Road Side Spraying

The County of Vermilion will be spraying weeds and brush along road allowances starting in June. Roadside spraying will focus on different areas of the County based on the year. 

In addition to spraying the spray zone, we will be selectively spraying noxious weeds and brush throughout the County. If you have an area that needs to be sprayed, please call the County office at 780-846-2244

  • We use herbicides to control weeds and plant species that are undesirable along the side of the roads (including sweet clover, aspen, toadflax, and thistles) as a blanket spray program and spot spray treatments where appropriate.
  • Please note that the County will not spray municipal road ditches within 30m (100 feet) adjacent to obviously maintained yard sites, tame shelterbelts, or dugouts.
  • Obvious means that the operator can see the mowed/maintained area in time to stop spraying before they get to the driveway or maintained area.
  • If weed issues arise in the above-listed areas, we will obtain written permission from the owner/occupant maintaining the area. If you are mowing or trimming your driveway or yard site, you do not need to apply for a No Spray Agreement for that area.
Our Noxious Weeds and Spraying Video explains more about our spray program 

No Spray Agreements

No Spray Agreement Form

The County recognizes that some landowners do not want herbicides applied to the municipal road right of ways adjacent to their property, so No Spray Agreements are available to those ratepayers who agree to themselves control weeds and vegetation within the County ROW to meet the County’s vegetation management standards. Complete the No Spray Agreement before May 31 annually.

  • Please note that No Spray Agreements are not necessary for areas of obviously maintained yard sites, tame shelterbelts and dugouts

Weed-Free Forage Program

Are you a forage producer who is interested in helping prevent the spread of invasive species? Contaminated hay is one way by which invasive species are spread, and there is a growing demand for certified “weed-free” hay, especially for use in protected natural areas and parks.

The County of Vermilion River is pleased to participate in Alberta’s Certified Weed Free Forage program. This program allows hay producers to have their forage inspected and certified as weed-free. The County of Vermilion River Agriculture & Environment Department will offer Weed-Free Forage inspection and certification to area producers.

Weed-Free Forage Certification requires a Certified Inspector to conduct a site visit and certify fields or portions of fields as weed-free. Forage stands are inspected according to North American Invasive Species Management Association (NAISMA) International standards, recognized for Alberta and across North America. Some invasive species can be present provided there are no plant propagules present that would enter the bales. Inspections must be done within 10 days of cutting. Inspections and certification are FREE – producers only have to purchase the specialized twine for marking the bales.  The Alberta Invasive Species Council (AISC) maintains a current list of producers with inventory of Certified Weed Free Forage on their website to help with marketing.

Contact County of Vermilion River Agriculture & Environment Department for questions, to schedule inspections, and for assistance in sourcing the specialized twine, at 780-846-3301.

For more information on Weed-Free forage, AISC and marketing Certified Weed-Free Forage, please visit:

Prohibited and Noxious Weeds 

The Government of Alberta keeps an updated listing of prohibited noxious and noxious weeds online (click here).  Check out our noxious weeds and spraying video 


Plants of Concern


WATER HEMLOCK Has been found in the region. Read this information sheet for more details.
JIMSONWEED (Devil's Trumpet) Has been found in the province. Read these two documents on how to handle it if you find it in your crops.
Jimsonweed Update
Government of Alberta Alert on Jimsonweed