Waste Transfer Sites
Waste Authority - Transfer Station Sites
Contact: Shirley Schwartz, Operations Manager 780.853.5561
Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Commission
Inclement weather: call the office at 780.853.5561 to get updates on transfer station sites - automated recordings will inform you of any changes. Please view this statement from Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission for further information.
Click below for an Interactive Map of our site locations:
Collection of Residential Waste Schedule
|BLACKFOOT||Approx. 12:00pm Noon||KITSCOTY||Approx. 7:00am|
|ISLAY||Approx. 1:30pm||MARWAYNE||Approx. 10:00am|
|DEWBERRY||Approx. 9:00am||CLANDONALD||Approx. 12:00pm Noon|
As the times on this schedule are approximate. Please be certain to have your bins at the curb ready for pick up by 7:00 a.m. on pick up day and remove them once collection is completed.
If you have any complaints regarding collection of your waste, please contact Quik Pick Waste Disposal directly at 780.875.4100.
Clandonald, Dewberry, Kitscoty, Marwayne, Paradise Valley, Tulliby Lake, Preston
|Acceptable Waste||Transfer Station Disposal||Unacceptable Wastes|
|Cardboard||Flatten and place in cardboard recycling bins|
|Wood/wood products||In burning pit||Animal carcasses|
|Clean burnables and yard waste||Acceptable at all sites|
|Rolled wire||In wire compound||Asphalt shingles (acceptable @Vermilion)|
|Metal||In metal compound||Liquid wastes|
|Propane bottles||Acceptable at all sites|
|Appliances||In appliance compound||Toxic wastes|
|Tires - all sites||In tire compound|
|Empty paint cans & used paint||up to 23 litres in size in designated bin at Vermilion, Kitscoty, Marwayne, Dewberry and Paradise Valley||Cement/concrete|
|Batteries||****Ask supervisor*******||Car bodies|
|Oil, Oil Filters and Drained oil filters - all sites||In designated recepticles only||Plasterboard/gyp rock (acceptable @Vermilion)|
|Mattresses & Upholstered Furniture||accceptable at all sites|
|E-waste - Kitscoty, Paradise Valley, Dewberry, Marwayne & Vermilion||In designated location||
|Agricultural Chemical Containers||
Preston & Tulliby Lake
|Acceptable Waste||Transfer Station Disposal||Unacceptable Wastes|
|Household||In containers||Same as above|
|Wood/wood products/cardboard||In burning pit||Plus paint & hazardous waste|
|Tires, Metal, Applicances||In designated locations||E waste|
|NOTE: A number of the unacceptable wastes are accepted at the Vermilion Landfill. All construction waste must be taken to the Vermilion Waste Transfer Site.|
Satellite Transfer Site (Quick Pick, Lloydminster)
Address: 5502-59 Avenue (adjacent to the Quik Pick Waste Disposal recycling yard)
Hours: Saturdays from 10:00am - 2:00pm
All County of Vermilion River residents may use this site for household waste only. A proof of residence will be required at the gate.
Update from the Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission - Spring 2021
We are presenting an update to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable waste at our transfer sites in the region. For your information, summer opening hours are being observed at the transfer sites as of May 1, 2021.
YARD WASTE: Leaves and grass must be taken out of the bags before being paced in the burn pit. Bags can be disposed of in regular household waste.
RECYCLING: All items that are to recycled must be cleaned and rinsed. The transfer sites will accept corrugated cardboard that is flattened before it is placed in the bin. We accept boxboard, tin cans, plastics labelled as #1, #2, #4, and #5, as well as newspapers, magazines, books and other paper. Plastics labelled #3, #6 and #7 are not accepted. Do not recycle the following:
#3 (PVC) - Plastic Polyvinyl Chloride - plastic building materials, shower curtains, cooking oil bottles, clear food wrap.
#6 Plastic Polystyrene (PS) — disposable drinking cups, egg cartons, take-out food containers, CD/DVD cases, building insulation, etc.
#7 - Other (Items with BPA) — sport bottles and equipment, car parts, baby bottles, electrical wiring, etc.
LARGE ITEMS: Large items such as fibreglass tubs, showers, hot tubs, must be cut in pieces no bigger that 2 feet x 4 feet. Vinyl siding, plastic pipe and hoses must be cut into 4 ft. lengths.
ELECTRONIC RECYCLING: Televisions, computers, computer components (monitors, printers, scanners).
USED PAINT: Paint, varnish, stain, paint thinner and stripper, and aerosol paint cans are recyclable. Empty paint cans should be placed in the metal pile.
HAZARDOUS WASTE: Approved transfer sites will continue to offer household hazardous waste recycling.There are hazardous waste bins on site to hold acceptable items. Small household-sized containers such as glue, cleaners, insecticides, rechargeable batteries, etc., are considered hazardous waste. Common household cleaners such as oven cleaner, bleach and soaps are not considered hazardous waste and can be put in the household waste bins. if the word “Contains no PCBs” appears on an item, it can also be put in household waste. Fluorescent ballasts, fluorescent tubes, halogen lights or curly bulb lights are to be placed in household waste bins. If there are containers which have solidified, they can be placed in the household waste bins. Small propane tanks that power lights or stoves can be disposed in the metal pile if they are empty. Larger propane bottles (20#) are collected in cages or pallets, and are not to be placed in the metal pile.
USED OIL: All sites have a location on site for disposal of used oil, and empty oil jugs or pails and oil filters are to be disposed of in the used oil compound.
MIXED WASTE: If you wish to dispose of wood or metal upholstered chairs, the cushions must be removed whenever possible. Sofas, mattresses and other upholstered furniture can be disposed in the furniture compound.
TIRES: All types of tires are acceptable, but the rims must be removed before they are placed in the tire compound.
CONCRETE AND SOD: These will not be accepted.
Segregation of Waste
- Major construction/demolition debris requires special authorization from the Authority.
Segregation; a fee may be assessed.
- Non-residential tipping fees apply
- Out of hours access fee of $30 for up to 3 hours will be charged.
- Plasterboard/gyp rock and shingles must be taken to the Vermilion Transfer Station
- For concrete disposal, call the Waste Commission.
- Triple rinsed containers are accepted at all transfer stations, except Kitscoty.
Products Accepted at Limited Sites (Vermilion, Kitscoty, Marwayne, Dewberry, Paradise Valley)
- E-Waste (computers, computer peripherals, televisions, printers)
- Used Paint and Paint cans up to 23 litre size
- Small Household Hazardous Waste
- As of September 2019, there are new size restrictions on household waste items (such as vinyl siding, pipe, hoses, countertops, laminate flooring and more) plus additional requirements for other large items (hot tubs, shingles, metal chairs, flooring on wood, hoses). SEE FULL DETAILS HERE.
- All vinyl siding brought to the Vermilion Transfer Site must be cut into four foot lengths.
- There is no charge for any of the above products to rate payers within the region.
- Contractors within the region must use the Vermilion Transfer Site for their waste and the charge is $90/mT for those located within the region.
- Large amounts of building materials such as shingles and siding should be taken to the Vermilion Transfer Site. There is no charge for rate payers for building materials as long as they are from personal dwellings.
- A tipping fee will apply to users who are not residents of the County of Vermilion River or the Town of Vermilion.
- Recyclables may be taken to Quick Pick Recycling Centre in Lloydminster - more information at www.quikpick.ca/services/blue-wave-recycling
- Read more about recycling at our transfer sites.
- NOTE: Further information about recycling opportunities in Alberta is posted at Alberta's Recycling Hotline at: www.recyclinghotline.ca
For some important information regarding Backyard Burning please click here.