WATER - Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What is the process for having water and sewer services installed? 

A:   Please contact the County Office to set up your account.  If you have any changes to your account or transfer of service, just give the office a call.  Please refer to the Water and Sewer Bylaw information for details.

Q:  How do I get my water tested?

A:   You can contact the Kitscoty Health Unit at 780-846-2824 for a water test.

Q:  Who is responsible for water and sewer problems (back ups, leaks) on my property?

A:   The County is responsible for repairs on main water and sewer lines as well as service lines up to the property line. Any cost for repairs from the property line to the home are the homeowner’s responsibility. If your sewer line is backed up, please contact a plumber. They will have the appropriate tools to determine where the line blockage/break is located. 

Q:  I will be away for an extended period of time. Can I have my water service disconnected?

A:   Please contact the County office at (780) 846-2244 and request a disconnect and date for reconnect. Please refer to the Water and Sewer bylaw for details on rates. 

Q:  I am installing a water softener. Where can I get information concerning the water hardness?

A:   Please refer to the Water Quality Analysis Reports for your hamlet.

Q:  I am moving into the County. How do I obtain a garbage bin?

A:  Garbage bins must be prepaid ($ 100) at the County office. Once paid, a bin will be delivered to your new home.

Q:  How is the water tested for quality and safety?

A: BACTERIA SAMPLE PROTOCOL = A water sample is collected once per week.  The sample is delivered to the Vermilion Public Health Office who in turn, forwards it to the Provincial Laboratory in Edmonton for testing. The sample is usually taken on a Monday from various locations in the distribution system and received by the Provincial Laboratory Tuesday morning. Testing requires a 24 hour period therefore, the results are usually available by the Wednesday. If there were a problem with a sample from a water treatment plant, the plant operator, an Alberta Environment office and the local Regional Health Authority would be immediately notified by the Provincial Lab.

A level of disinfection in the form of sodium hypochlorite (12% chlorine solution) is maintained in the treated water entering the distribution system. Testing is also performed at different locations in the distribution system to ensure the chlorine level is consistent with levels in the reservoir.
All wells are locked and monitored for contamination sources within the vicinity of the well head.
Please refer to the Alberta Environment link for further information.
Regulated drinking water in Alberta: http://environment.alberta.ca/apps/regulateddwq/