The County of Vermilion River Natural Gas Utility is a prominent member of the largest rural gas distribution cooperative in the world, the Federation of Alberta Gas Coops.
· 1973 - Government of Alberta introduced the Rural Gas Act, which also included franchise areas exclusive to distributors.
· 1978 - County of Vermilion River successfully signed the number of customer contracts required to be granted a rural franchise area. Council immediately passed a motion for the establishment of a Natural Gas Utility, directed to operate completely independent of tax dollars.
· 1983 - County had assumed a 20 year debenture of $3,072,586.00 from the Alberta Government.
· 1985 - Gas Utility embarked upon supplying industrial heating and engine fuel.
· 1991 - County of Vermilion River was able to celebrate their utility becoming debt free, due to increased annual gas sales.
The ability to own and operate a rural gas distribution system provides customers with an economically viable and reliable heating source for homes and commercial operations.
Service charge, gas rate and construction project revenues establish system maintenance and pipeline replacement reserves, thus reducing future financial burden to customers.
The magnitude of installing a pipeline project that would extend to all residences throughout the County's Franchise Area required the cooperative efforts of both landowners and customers.
The Gas Utility continues to offer customers exceptional rates and service charge fees, while maintaining cooperative principles.