Dogs are considered a part of our family, so when they go missing it is an anxious time for both the owner and the animal.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU'VE LOST YOUR DOG
There are several things to do if you discover your dog is lost:
- Your dog may not have wandered too far. If you live in a subdivision, hamlet or have neighbours close by look around the area and ask neighbours if they have seen your dog. Be sure to include the time and approximate place your dog went missing.
- Contact the Lloydminster & District SPCA. Any dog that is picked up by our dog control officer is brought directly to the SPCA.
- Visit the Pet Lynx website. Here you can file a lost pet report in the system and the website will send any potential matches to your profile. Any dog that is brought to the Lloydminster SPCA is automatically put onto this website.
- Contact Enforcement Services at 780-846-2244 or email@example.com with a description or picture of your dog, approximate time and place it went missing and contact information. We will be able to post information about your lost dog on the County of Vermilion River Facebook page and Twitter Account. Please note this email is not monitored on weekends or outside business hours.
- Check to make sure that the contact information associated with your dog license is correct. If your dog is licensed and wearing tags we will be able to contact you if your pet is picked up by our dog control officer or admitted to the Lloydminster SPCA.
If you locate your pet at the SPCA, owners are generally responsible for paying shelter fees and may have to pay a fine for having an animal at large. Additional charges also apply for any veterinary treatment provided. If your dog did not have a dog tag you will have to apply and pay a fee for the tag before you can take your dog home.
IF YOU FIND A STRAY DOG
If you find a stray dog, there are several steps you can take to help return the animal to its owners:
- Contact Enforcement Services for our Dog Control Officer to pick up the dog(s). If you have ANY concern about a stray dog’s behaviour, this is the best action to take. Dogs picked up by our dog control officer will be brought to the Lloydminster SPCA. Any dogs brought to the SPCA are put onto the Pet Lynx website
- Transport the dog to the Lloydminster SPCA
- Visit the Pet Lynx website. Here you can file a report stating that you found a dog and the website will send any potential matches to your profile.
- Contact Enforcement Services at 780-846-2244 or firstname.lastname@example.org with a description or picture of the dog, time and place it was found and your contact information. We will be able to post information about the dog on the County of Vermilion River Facebook page and Twitter Account. This email is not monitored outside business hours or on weekends.
Note: the County does not pick up stray cats. Please transport stray cats to the Lloydminster SPCA.
You may be able to adopt a stray dog if the owners are not found in a timely manner. However, any dog found in the County is not allowed to be adopted back into the County. If you reside in another municipality (i.e. Town of Vermilion, Village of Kitscoty or M.D. of Wainwright) you may be able to adopt the dog from the Lloydminster SPCA.
KEEP YOUR PET SAFE
We all want to be responsible pet owners and keep our dogs safe. There are steps you can take to help prevent your pet from getting lost and, if your pet does go missing, help ensure a safe return home.
- Pick up a license tag for your dog – this is a simple and easy way to ensure your pet’s information is on file.
- Have your pet implanted with a microchip and keep the contact information up-to-date.
- Spay and neuter your dog(s), as this will diminish their urge to roam and mate.
- If you take your pet outside, ensure it is properly leashed or in a secured area, like a fenced yard.
NUMBERS TO CALL IF YOUR PET IS LOST
|County of Vermilion River Enforcement Services
|Vermilion Vet Clinic
|Dewberry Vet Clinic
|Town of Vermilion Municipal Enforcement Services